Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Family Time!

Like I wrote at the end of the last blog, my family got to come out for the last day of school and then stayed for the following week. I'll admit that I put them to work for the first 2 days, but it was all fun after that! We got to explore and see parts of Colorado that I had not yet ventured into. It was great!

We started local with my new favorite hike of Colorado Springs. It's called 7 Bridges because you literally go over 7 bridges while on the trail. Imagine that! It was gorgeous though and takes you all along a stream flowing down the mountain.

From there we ventured south. We decided to see what all the hype is over The Royal Gorge Bridge. Unfortunately the day we drove down we were experiencing some stronger than typical Colorado winds. Winds gusting over 70 miles an hour knocked out all power to The Royal Gorge Park. Plus I think the winds would have blown us off the bridge. Needless to say, we turned around and headed to Westcliffe, Colorado which had been recommended to my mom on a flight out here. On the way we made a couple of stops that I would recommend. First, we had to pit stop at the Holy Cross Abby Winery. It's a great little place with very tasty, award winning wines! Then we made a detour to see Bishop's Castle.

Now, this was something I had read about but couldn't imagine what it was really like. This man has decided to build a castle by himself and all by hand. It's crazy!

Yes, all made by hand by one man.  If you're ever in the area you need to see it.

View of the mountains from Westcliffe!

After enjoying this spectacle we finally made our way to the quaint town of Westcliffe where we had secured a stay at a bed & breakfast.  What a great decision!  It's called Courtyard Country Inn B & B.  The place was so cute, great owners, delicious breakfast, and so relaxing.  Just check out the relaxation taking place:

At night they light the chimneys and you can enjoy sitting out under the stars.  We will definitely be staying here again!  And while in Westcliffe we would recommend eating at Poag Mahone's.  Staying here also inspired me to open my own B&B one day.  Any suggestions on a location for my B&B would be greatly appreciated!

 After enjoying every bit of our delectable breakfast we headed back to The Royal Gorge for a less windy experience.  It was really cool and quite a site to see.  

 My favorite part was taking the vertical train down in the gorge.

While there Zach also sawed off some horns :)

And we got thrown in jail.  I must say I think I look a bit more intimidating than Zach ;)

Colorado has so much to offer!  And this was only one trip.  There's so much more for me to see!  I'm so thankful for the time with family and being able to enjoy some of the breath-taking beauty this area is blessed with.  

Don't forget to let me know where you think I should open up my B&B!  I'll start looking into realty.

No comments:

Post a Comment