Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cold Days!

You may have wondered what teachers do when school is canceled.  And not just for 1 day...2 days!!!!  Let me tell you, I was ecstatic about having the days off!!!!!!!!!!    We were lucky enough to find out Monday night that school would be canceled on Tuesday.  Then I got the text at 5am this morning that it had been canceled for another day.  I couldn't believe it!  My heart was racing and all I wanted to do was jump up and down for joy.  I got so excited I had a hard time going back to bed.  So what to do for 2 days trapped inside?  Whatever I felt like! :)  It has involved a lot of cooking, reading, time on the internet, thinking about what life will bring next, and straight up relaxing.  I'll be honest, my roommate and I have not left our pajamas at all for the 2 days.  What a life!

Cooking has probably been the most fun part.  Allison started it off with sweet potato pancakes.  So delicious with little caramel crunchies tucked inside.  Then I made stuffed butternut squash, which oddly enough incorporated mango.  Very strange combination of foods that turned out to be very tasty.  If you feel like being adventurous I'd be happy to share the recipe.  At some point in the day we decided that the extreme cold definitely called for a fire in the fireplace.  A fire naturally leads to the desire to have s'mores.  We had everything we needed except for the graham crackers.  Not a problem!  I'll make homemade graham crackers. 
Yep, I even added the little holes for looks.
 Let me tell you, I never want to have s'mores with graham crackers out of the box again.  I would love to always make my own.  They are a little softer than your typical boxed variety making them just perfect for a s'more.  We got a good fire blazing and thoroughly enjoyed roasting our tiny snowman marshmallows over the flame. 

 
The recipe made quite a few graham crackers, so I set out a find another use for them today.  That quest turned into a form of blueberry pie.  Also quite a scrumptious treat for us as we lounged around.  And there's just something fun about figuring out ways to work with what you have.  There's no running to the store for a missing ingredient...you just go with whatever is in the pantry.

While it's sad to see the sun setting behind the mountains on day 2, I am so thankful for 2 days of rest.  I think we all need times like this every once in a while.  All this has said to me, "Jesus loves me!"  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment