Friday, March 4, 2011

National Pancake Day

For anyone has already read my Mango Escapades blog, you know that National Pancake Day was this past week.  We jump started the holiday at the race on Saturday.  We also decided to go all out on the actual day.  I definitely set new personal records that day. 
Pancakes always seem to make more than I expect
We decided this was quite a joyful way to begin the day
Jess was obviously quite a fan too!
I began the morning by having co-workers over for pancake breakfast before school.  I was quite proud of myself for being able to have fun in the morning before school and being completely ready for the day even though I got to school so much later than normal.  I've come a long way since last year.  Anyway, I provided 3 choices for breakfast: blueberry, brown sugar-cinnamon, and banana.  All delicious, but banana was surprisingly my favorite.
 Then of course we had to celebrate at school.  I cooked up all of the leftover mango pancakes from Saturday, and served them to all the kids for a morning snack.  They actually loved them!  I had them guess what kind of pancakes they were.  I got some of the most absurd guesses: egg, butter, and my personal favorite: elephant.  Yep, they thought I was serving them elephant pancakes.  Oh the logic of 6 & 7 year olds.  Eventually one did guess mango and we all happily enjoyed our special treat.
By the time I remembered I wanted to take a picture there was only part of the one pancake left.  Oh well, we'll still remember it was pancake day.
More indicative of what life is really like in 1st grade :)
 Next came lunch.  Maria had kindly cooked us up some zucchini pancakes.  This was a first, but I would highly recommend them.  And I certainly welcomed a more savory option as a relief from all the other sweet pancakes.
Dinner brought another opportunity to invite other people into the celebration and try out a couple more varieties.  The theme of the night was sweet potatoes.  I made a savory and sweet option.  Again, I was very thankful for a savory option to change it up a bit, but the sweet option made for a great dessert.  It was such a fun excuse to get a bunch of people together and just enjoy time together.  We can all use a little fun in the middle of the week.
Mmm Mmm...sweet potato pancakes!
Friends are such a gift!
We had to be silly and play with Allison's new iPhone app.
So the day ultimately included 7 different types of pancakes and a grand total of 15 pancakes for me.  It was a blast, but I think I might have had my fill of pancakes until next year's national pancake day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment