Sunday, August 14, 2011

Love & Generosity

I've never been at such a loss on how to begin a post.  As most of you know, we suffered a great tragedy and loss just over a week ago.  It was terrible and my prayers still go out to her family and friends.  We will always miss Becky as a vibrant and ambitious member of our WT family.  Even through grieving and heartache there is always good that comes out too.  I have been blown away by the response of both the people here and back home.  People at home immediately responded with prayers and e-mails of comfort and support.  That meant more than you could know. 

The community here showered, and continues to shower, us with love and generosity.  It has given us a unique insight to more Pohnpeian customs.  Clara was Becky's host mother and took her in as her own daughter.  It is custom to keep the body company; so every night Clara organized a service for her.  We would gather together to sing Pohnpeian hymns, pray and read scripture.  It is also custom for the family to bring food every night so that no one leaves empty handed.  It just blew me away every night to see the generosity of Clara and her family.  They prepared so much, and insisted that we take several plates and drinks.  All of the host families have really been incredible.  They didn't even think twice about doing anything they could to help and support us.  The people are wonderful and we have a lot we can learn from them.  Family comes first no matter what and they exude love and generosity.

The Exexutive Director of WorldTeach also came out in light of all that has happened.  It was really great of her to come out and spend time with us.  I now feel much more educated on the workings of WT and how it has come to be what it is today.  She made me feel much more connected to WT and I'm now even happier to be part of the organization.  She is more than willing to do anything thing she can to make the program even more successful and effective.

So we have pulled together as family.  I am so thankful for the group I am here with.  We are all quite unique, but it's been really cool to see how close we've become in such a short time.  God has been faithful as always.  He has given me strength and comfort all the way through.  I love seeing how He works!

So what have I been doing?  Well, I moved out of my host family home and I've been out on my own for the first time.  My family sent me off with love, yams, and bananas!  They were super sad to see me leave, but I will literally be living about a mile down the road so I'll visit frequently.
We were blessed with a new box of crayons - 24 colors! 

I miss hanging out with this kid every night :)

Gradley & Billy

Ahi Nohno sending me off with hugs!

Nohno Namiko - she is actually Paula's sister-
in-law, but she became my 2nd Nohno towards
the end while Paula took care of her dad in the
hospital.  She was wonderful to me!

We finally made it out to the Village!  It's a great little escape not too far from Kolonia.  It's probably the most resort style place to stay on the island and they have one of the best restaurants.  Kate took us out there for our end of orientation dinner.

We dressed it up for a change!  We actually do clean up well ;)

When you stay here you get a little thatched bungalow.  So cool!

Great sunsets

The menu comes on a fan blade!

I got to go a second time today actually.  A couple from church offered to take Lori and I out to brunch and they ended up taking us there.  So wonderful!
Walking back into the main dining area
The view during the day

We ate our brunch out there in the little cabana area
So many great views
 
Being on my own has given me the chance to try my hand at cooking on the island.  It's been quite a success so far.
Gabrielle & I's 1st lunch for the group - Yakisoba!

And Gabrielle made Mango Cheesecake to finish it off. 
Yes, that's fresh mango glazing the top.  Amazing!
Local food is my favorite.  I love that there is just fruit growing everywhere!  I can literally walk out and pull something off of a tree.  People randomly give you fruit that they've picked off of their land.  Or you can go to markets and get great deals on all the local produce.  Right up my alley!  I found my favorite market just yesterday.  Most bananas are $.25/lb and the fancy ones are $.35/lb.
Fresh picked papaya; I'm still trying to figure out the fine line
between letting it ripen as much as possible on the tree but
getting it down before the birds get to it.

Part of my mission to try all the bananas on the island.  They're
both boiled with fresh coconut milk but each quite different.
The left is sweet and delicious; the right is more like a potato
and wouldn't care to try it again honestly.
The highly applauded Karat Banana - packed
full of nutrients.
The inside is like custard!
I also got to go garage saling!  That's something I didn't get to expect to do in Pohnpei.  I got some good deals to help stock the new home I'll be moving into in just 2 days.
Mom, aren't you proud ;)  We'll be makin' some fresh fruit
smoothies!
And we ended the week with a retirement party for the director of COM Pohnpei Campus.  In Pohnpiean style there was of course a feast!  Take a look at the main course:
Love the island style...

oink, oink!

Well, that is all for now.  Tomorrow is the first day of classes.  Ahh!!!!!  I can't believe it!  Just call me Professor Eastup :)

No comments:

Post a Comment