Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cultural Day

One of the fears as the world becomes more globalized is that the islands will lose their culture and forget the really great customs of their ancestors.  So the FSM has created a national holiday called Cultural Day.  I think it's a great idea.  It's a day simply for the whole community to come together and perform traditional ceremonies and traditional dancing.  It's a way to ensure that customs and culture continue to be passed down to new generations. 

This year it was held in the botanical garden.  Laurel and I showed up early to make sure we didn't miss a thing.  Right off the bat we ran into one of the Chiefs that we know, and he promptly gave us really great seats where we could see everything.  So kind of him!

The very first thing on the agenda was, of course, a quick sakau ceremony.  The Nahnmwarki of Nett was present, as well as many other important officials from the Pacific.  They all participated in the sakau.

Shortly thereafter the day continued on with a few speeches.  We sat with the students who won the essay contest competition, and they got to read their essays to everyone and also got a certificate from the president of the FSM.
Pohnpeian Essay Winner
English Essay Winner
Before most of the entertainment started, they even served local foods in local baskets to people of importance towards the front.  Laurel and I were fortunate enough to share the day with a wonderful Japanese couple.  They were given a local food basket and insisted that we share and have lunch together.  Given my hunger and the appeal of the delicious local foods, I was not going to deny that invitation.
Fish, sea cucumber, taro, yam, tapioca, banana in banana leaf,
breadfruit, drinking coconut, pineapple
Breaking into it a little more
 For the record, I did eat the sea cucumber.  Not surprising since it lives it's whole life on the ocean floor, but it's very, very, very salty.  Not bad, just salty :)  I promise I'm getting to the good entertainment, but a quick side story before we get there.  We sat with the sweet Japanese couple all day throughout the event.  We made the most of conversations with limited English.  Then at the end of the day we discovered that they use to live in Panama and are fluent in Spanish.  From there we all began speaking Spanish and it went much smoother.  If only we'd known all day.  But I just loved that we were sitting in Pohnpei, 2 American women and a Japanese couple, speaking Spanish.  We should have called it Multi-Cultural Day :)

So as we indulged in our tasty food, the entertainment really got going.  There were about 10 groups performing from Pohnpei, outer islands of Pohnpei, and the sister islands in the FSM (Chuuk, Kosrae, Yap).  I knew it would best be experienced and remembered through video.  So here are short clips of the day for you to get a look at the great performances:



They were all really great, and I loved seeing so many traditions.  I would have to say that I do have a favorite though; it's still the Mokelese warriors.  They have the most energy and passion by far.  I also took some still shots to see the traditional dress and gifts.
The girl 3rd from the right is one of my students!
The kids couldn't resist peeping through the back of the stage
Adorable children dancers
Yapese
Presenting a gift of fish to the nahnmwarki
 
 
Chuuk
More fish gifts - that's a big one!
These kids can dance and entertain

The guys literally just stood there as the ladies danced; I'm
not sure of their purpose, maybe just moral support ;)
 
 
 
 
I was so glad I got to see and experience all of this.  I felt very cultured and it made me happy to see all of the islands and groups keeping their traditions alive!

No comments:

Post a Comment