Thursday, May 10, 2012

Better Than I Ever Expected

As I said at the end of the last post, little did I know that there would be more to my birthday.  I honestly thought Saturday was a lot of fun, and that was more than enough of a birthday celebration for me.  All I requested was some tuna in the coconut soup for my birthday dinner.  Apparently Maryanna had different plans all along and I had no idea.
My actual birthday came on Monday, and it started off much like any other day since it was still a work day.  The first excitement of the day was being visited by three of my lovely students who came just to wish me a happy birthday and give me the sweet cards they had made.
We said goodbye about a million times and gave just as many hugs.  Then I continued on about my grading and report writing.  When it came time for lunch I took a nice long lunch break because you can decide to do that when it's your birthday. ;)  It gave me time to skype with my wonderful family, who was actually still celebrating Zach's birthday in Texas because of the huge time difference.  It was really fun to be able to wish each other a happy birthday on the same day!  Anyways, after I got done chatting, Maryanna came up to see me.  In the course of the conversation she just can't hold in the surprise any more and she lets it slip out that we will be having a birthday dinner.  I'm thinking, "Yeah, the 5 of us can all have some of the tuna soup together.  It'll be nice."  Then she slips a little more information: a few other people will join us too.  "You know...Lori, Melody, Mike, Joseph.   Nothing too big.  I will prepare the food.  You don't worry."   It would seem that the surprise was ruined, but it was not.  Yes, I knew people were going to come over for dinner.  Yes, I did still worry that she would do too much.  But I still didn't know exactly what it would all entail. 
Fast forward to that night.  Laurel and I went to zumba as usual and came back to be greeted by friends and  another fabulous spread of food by Maryanna.
The cooks - Melody and Maryanna
 

I was wondering why Lori didn't come to zumba.  Turns out she and Melody were at my house helping Maryanna prepare.  They're so great!  At this point I'm super excited and already thinking that this was more than I had expected.  But it gets even better.  As we're waiting to start the buffet line, I notice that quite a crowd is starting to gather downstairs.  It's many of the neighborhood kids whom I love!  Soon they are coming up the stairs and coming to wish me a happy birthday.  One by one they each came over to place a gift in my hands.  I was completely blown away and overcome with emotion by their generosity.
Everyone's waiting in anticipation of what they will do...
I'm so shocked I don't even know what to do
handmade mwaramwar, earrings, purse
I decided to just squeeze all of them :)
Hugs for all!
This mother made the earrings herself and they're gorgeous
They were all invited to stay and have dinner with us, which made me so happy.  I could not think of more precious people to spend my birthday with.
Huddling under the cover from the rain; it's okay, we like
to be cozy and goofy
I was so honored to even have Pahpa Samuel with us
Perno!
Precious!
 After another taste sensation by Maryanna, it was time for everyone to have cake!  Lori was great enough to make a birthday cake specially for me.  Maloney was in charge of the awesome decoration.  Lori wouldn't tell me what she had done to make it until after I ate it.  Should I worry?
Do you see it all?  Smiley face, initials, 26, eye lashes
There really are 26 candles
That takes a lot of air
Cake eating contest!!!
So after we stuffed the cake in, Lori asked what I thought.  It was delicious with a bit of a tang.  She laughed and finally told me what was in it: mango juice in the batter and mango kool-aid in the icing.  I love it!!!!  Seriously, people are so good to me and make me feel so special.

We spent the rest of the evening totally goofing around.  I think maybe all that sugar made us a little hyper or maybe it was just pure joy from such a lovely night.  We had a little too much fun with the picture taking.
 
 
Look!  Mike has wings!
Wait for the second flash...
there is no second flash!
Just keep moving!
Perfectly timed jumping picture on our 1st try!
Mike's had enough
on to a new form of entertainment
We even had the "super moon" shining over us
I always think that Maryanna has made way too much food.  And she has if you're only feeding the people at the dinner.  But it's just right when you feed the neighborhood, and she does!
Preparing generous plates of food to be
delivered to the neighbors
 All I can say is that God has blessed me by bringing so many wonderful people into my life both here and back in the states.  When the night was over I was still blown away by how special and loved they all made me feel.  I am thankful beyond words for the life I have been given for my 26 years!  This celebration was far better than I ever expected it to be!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment