Friday, January 25, 2013

Semester in Review

Too much time has elapsed since my last post, so I'm going to attempt to do a broad review of the semester to get up to date.  Much has changed, and I believe much change is yet to come.  Last time I wrote I was an 8th grade algebra teacher; now I am not.  So what has transpired in between to bring me to where I am now?  WORK!  Lots and lots of work to put it quite simply.  I don't want to give the wrong impression, so I must say that I really liked a lot of things about my school.  It was the best administration I've ever worked for, my teammates were a lot of fun to work with, my students were constantly inspiring, and I got to teach math all the time.  But in the end I had to realize that I value a healthy work-life balance that I just couldn't get while working there.  So I finished the semester and left them in the hands of a much stricter, intimidating algebra teacher. Haha!  While very challenging, I'm still thankful for the time there to learn more about teaching and more about myself.  Live and learn, right?

I didn't really work ALL the time, so I was able to have some fun along the way.  Towards the end of summer, some co-workers and I went to a festival in downtown Denver.  It was quite interesting with people dressed up in all kinds of crazy costumes.  We were not prepared and looked way too "normal".  But we enjoyed the random games they had set up around the park.

Hmm...I wonder what's in the box? Should
we get in line to find out?
Of course!  Curiosity got the best of us.  Turns out it's
a bunch of music boxes.
We challenged these kids to the biggest game
of Jenga I've ever played.
The kids won.  Watch out for falling blocks!
My mom and dad got to come visit just about the time that the aspens were changing.  It's a beautiful time of year, and I was thankful to get to take the weekend with them to enjoy it.
It's also bugling season for the elk.  Pretty up-close with a buck.
We also got to take in our first Rockies' game.

 We even had some fun at school.  I participated in my first ever Cart Races.  It's a hilarious event that happens every year at the school.  We take the whole school outside, teachers clear off the carts we usually use to take our materials to the classrooms, and we race around the cul-de-sac to the amusement of our students.  We're a competitive bunch, so those carts can get a little out of hand on the curve.
My advisees continued to show great Aggie pride!  They were great at doing the yells and acting as yell leaders.  They were so good that we beat the t.u. advisory on several occasions! :)
We celebrated a lot of random holidays together.  We had Candy Corn Day, Pumpkin Day, Oatmeal Muffin Day, Hot Cocoa Day, Ice Cream Day, Pizza Day, and many more.  If you're looking for a way to improve the morale of your workplace, this is the way to do it.
Halloween & Pumpkin Day
Cookie Day - we did a cookie exchange at work and I made
rootbeer float cookies
Bittersweet Chocolate Day - unbelievably good!
Curried Chicken Day
Pizza...
With Everything (Except Anchovies)...
Day!!!
My amazing co-workers even surprised me one day with my
very own Laurie Eastup Day.  I was so shocked!
Of course, I also made time to enjoy the great outdoors when possible.
Hiking the Flatirons with Maria
Taking the Celestial Seasonings Tea tour -  a popular
Boulder thing to do
Snuggling with Sleepytime, the Celestial
Seasonings mascot
One last Colorado Mango Escapade with Maria before
she moves to Texas
Same tree I climbed 2 years ago on a fall hike with Nikki
and Kelly
On top of Raspberry Mountain!  The spectacular view
is definitely worth trying to trudge your way through the
snow.
Perfect for snow angels!
"Hey Maria, I have a great idea...let's throw the snow up
in the air and let it fall on us."
Oh, but it's so cold when it falls on your face.  Maybe
not my best idea ;)
Hiking to the Royal Arch in Boulder
Friends from church
I'm in the Royal Arch!
I was also very thankful for the time I got to spend with family for the holidays.  That is definitely one of the perks that makes me question whether I should leave teaching.  The long breaks have spoiled me.
The annual Eastup Bonfire/Weenie Roast
Cousin time!
Homemade s'mores top it all off!
Don't you want some of this ooey gooey goodness right now?
Every year, Scharffen Berger Chocolate has a baking contest.  This year it was to create a cookie sandwich using their chocolate and one of the 12 adventure ingredients.  I took on the challenge and practiced my baking skills.  I came up with a few creations that I was quite happy with.  Here is one of them:
Would you ever guess that there's sweet potato in there?
I had a lot of fun finding just the right cookie and just the right marshmallow creme.  And I probably had a little TOO much fun playing with the kitchen torch.  Haha!

And that just about puts the last semester in a nutshell.  What will come next?  I guess we'll just have to wait for the next post to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment