Four years ago, I had just moved to Colorado Springs to start teaching. Nikki was still in PT school so she flew out to visit me, and we decided to do the Muddy Buddy in Boulder. Neither of us knew anything about Boulder, so it wasn't until we drove out there that we realized how bad my idea was to camp out there. There is no where to camp in Boulder. So we ended up sleeping in my car in a hotel parking lot.
Four years later, we decided it would be fun to do the Muddy Buddy again. But wow how things have changed in those four years. Nikki is now Dr. Nikki and lives and works in the Boulder area and is
married. I am back in Colorado Springs
not teaching after leaving for a while to live in Pohnpei and Boulder. This time around we both slept in real beds because we knew better than to try pitching a tent somewhere. All of these changes, however, did not detract one bit from our fun! I even think round 2 might have been even more fun!
Being a little more prepared, we also got way more into our team name and costume aspect of the race. We were the A&Mazing Aggies. I found some overalls at Goodwill and my mom and I transformed them into Aggie overalls!
 |
| Yet again so thankful I have a crafty mom |
We met up early on race morning to get decked out in all of our Aggie attire.
 |
| Making the overalls a little more running and climbing friendly |
 |
| Tattoos on! |
 |
| The maroon socks really finish off the whole look |
 |
| Workin' the class of '08! |
Since we had put effort into our look this year, we of course had to enter the costume contest. Plus they were offering a free pair of Keen shoes to each buddy of the winning team. That's a great deal worth looking ridiculous for! We worked it as much as we could. We did an Aggie yell, we jumped and screamed, we showed off the overalls. But in the end we were just in the wrong state.
 |
| Trying to get the loudest cheers |
 |
| The competition - Mario Cart girls took 1st |
After the costume competition came the real competition and muddy fun.
 |
Serious buddy moment...I can't really remember what we were saying but maybe something to the effect of "You are my buddy. I will not leave you." |
 |
| Ok, we're ready to race! |
 |
Nikki was all about lining up at the front because we're just that good. Haha! |
 |
| And we're off! |
It was about a 5 mile course along the reservoir. Along the way we climbed over walls, slid down huge slides, climbed ropes, balanced across balance beams, waded through muddy water, climbed through a web, caught up on each others' lives, and completely enjoyed ourselves. That brought us back to the final and biggest obstacle...
 |
| Up and... |
 |
| over |
 |
Up and over again, a little bit slippery this time because those guys on the sides are spraying water in your face the whole time |
 |
| I think they were having a little too much fun with that |
 |
| And finally to THE MUD PIT!!! |
 |
| We're all in, army crawl! |
 |
| Now we really are MUDDY buddies! |
No comments:
Post a Comment