Friday, February 28, 2014

Pancake Day 2014

One of my favorite annual random holiday events is Pancake Day!  Every year I look forward to planning what new and creative pancakes I can make and then sharing them with friends.  After looking through tons of recipes and reading all sorts of blogs, I have to make myself narrow it down to a final list.  This year I ended up with:
This is just the dinner list
For anyone who knows about my Pancake Day celebrations, you know that this is not just a dinner event.  It is an all day celebration with pancakes for every meal of the day.  While searching through all of the creative recipes out there, I came across an interesting 2-ingredient pancake.  It intrigued me enough and was easy enough that I decided to try it for my breakfast pancakes.
Just a banana and 2 eggs
Mash the banana and mix well with the egg
Throw it in a hot pan and you get a pancake!
I would say it could win an award for easiness, but not so much on flavor. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't something to rave about.  On to better pancakes!

I wanted people at work to enjoy the pancake fun too, so I asked a co-worker to bring in his electric skillet.  I brought in some regular pancake batter and all kinds of fun toppings to set up a make-your-own pancake bar.
Bananas, strawberries, chocolate chips, sprinkles, and more!
My favorite part of this was getting e-mails from co-workers telling me what they tried.  They made all sorts of fun combinations.

For lunch, I went with pretty much the same thing as last year because they were so good.  It seems fitting to have a pancake sandwich for lunch.
Spinach pancakes with hummus, tomatoes, red pepper
and cucumbers to make..
a hummus pancake sandwich
My adventurous co-workers who were willing to give
it a try and enjoy pancake sandwiches with me!
I made sure to leave work on time that day to allow plenty of time to make the plethora of dinner pancakes.  I am not fast in the kitchen, so I knew I would really have to work hard at somehow getting all of the different pancakes on my list made before people showed up at my house.  I had three pans going at a time and more baking in the oven.  It's a good thing pancake day falls in the winter because I definitely heat the place up with that much cooking going on.
The savory selection
The sweets
The whole list is there!
Fun toppings to make it even more interesting
Avocado Sauce for the Spicy Black Bean pancakes
Tomato sauce for the Pizza pancakes
Syrup, caramel, chocolate, yogurt, sprinkles,
and cherries for all the rest!
Apparently a lot of my friends still like the more traditional sweet ones the best.  They were definitely the first to go.  My personal favorite of the year was the Spicy Black Bean pancake.  I could eat those all the time, especially with the avocado sauce on top.  Yumm!

Because I made so many, pancake day turned into pancake week for me. I think my coworkers laughed at me every day when I pulled out another round of pancakes for lunch.  But you know me, nothing goes to waste!  I finished off every one of those pancakes.  And now I will probably have little desire to eat another pancakes until Pancake Day 2015. :)

The 5th Annual Pancake Day was another great success full of lots of fun and lots of pancakes!

No comments:

Post a Comment