Sunday, February 3, 2019

Unexpected Trip

As you know, I took a somewhat unexpected trip to Kenya in January.  I was soooooo thankful that it ended up being just a short time away from the my new home that I have quickly become very fond of.  And even though it was a very short trip, I still valued the experience.

The trip up was surprisingly simple and pleasant.  I caught a bus early Sunday morning just across the road at the gas station.  It was a 24-passenger bus with only 12 passengers, so I was happy for the room.  We made a couple of stops, did the border crossing, and before I knew it, I was in Nairobi.
My bus at stop #1 - luggage will get strapped on top
The border crossing
 At this point, I was worried I might not ever be let back in the country or that it might be many weeks.  If only I had known God would have it all worked out in just 2 days!
Just after the border crossing, I saw this sign
on the side of the road for Texas Choma Zone
(Texas Meat Zone)
 As we got closer to the city, I quickly saw very noticeable differences. 
A huge fancy mall?
A Hilton hotel?
KFC?!?!
While I am sure there are some conveniences of the big city that would be nice, I am perfectly happy in my little town with no chains whatsoever.

The bus trip ends at a hotel in Nairobi.  The Rafiki team in Kenya was kind enough to come pick me up and host me at their village.  They were ready to accommodate me for as long as needed.  One of the great things about the villages in all 10 countries is that they all have the same gate.  It makes you immediately feel right at home.
Probably the highlight of the trip was getting to reconnect with friends from Malawi.  We were together in Malawi in 2008.  Who would have thought the next time we would see each other would be in Kenya in 2019?  I always remember her making homemade bread while I was in Malawi.  As I walked in their house for dinner that first night, she was pulling fresh baked bread out of the oven.  What a sweet time with them!
I don't think they've changed a bit.  Still as young as ever and
serving with plenty of energy.
 Apparently they have little hedgehogs that hang around the village there.  He tucked his head in fear pretty quickly, but he was cute.
 I had a chance to see their primary and secondary school.  Their village is a little older, so they have students all the way to the top grade levels.  I really appreciated getting to see another school in action.  I was able to take some ideas and bring them back to implement here at my school.  It was also just fun to be in classrooms with students and meet all of the teachers.
A pre-primary group
It's a beautiful campus with many trees
Just as the team there was thinking of the many jobs I could help with (because there is always lots of work to do in any village), I got the notification that all my paperwork was completed and I was to get back ASAP.  For immigration purposes, I needed to come back in the country by plane.  Fortunately there are many flights making the short hop over every day.  I got word of coming back that Tuesday morning, my plane ticket was purchased by noon, I was on my way to the airport by 2, taking off at 5, landing at 6, and back in the country as an official resident by 6:30.  What a whirlwind roller-coaster!

Bye Kenya
My little country hopper
Thrilled to be back as on official resident!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment