Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Snow Day!

Working in a district that is known for never having snow days, we actually had one today! That should give you an idea of the winter we're having so far. Ever since I moved here the common saying has been "this weather is so unusual". I think it's my nice welcome to Colorado! I'm not going to complain though. I have thoroughly enjoyed my snow day and the snow is beautiful! Here's an idea of what I've been looking at through my porch window for the past few days.

I've also obviously decided to use this extra time to do a few things I've been meaning to do for months (like start a blog). People are always asking for funny things that kids have said and things that happen in my classroom, and I never can recall anything on the spot. Every day is a great adventure full of hilarious and unexpected things and I'm hoping a blog will help me share the joys of teaching with you more often.

My class is now full of 13 wonderful students. That's right, just 13! I have had 7 students move so far and I've gained a few along the way since I teach right next to the army base. With a delayed start yesterday I only had 8 students show up. I quickly decided that if we want kids to get a better education we should just reduce class size. It was wonderful!

I absolutely love teaching despite it's daily challenges. I had some time today to reflect on why I love this job so much:
1. I get to see kids learn and grow every day.

2. It's never boring and no two days are the same.

3. The hours and days fly by and I always wish I had more time with my kids.

4. I am always moving around and never sitting.

5. It is a job that requires me to walk in faith daily. I don't know how anyone could possibly do this job without God.

6. I learn and grow every day.

7. And I love each and every one of my students with their unique gifts and personalities.

I was also trying to think about some of the funny moments and sayings because that's what people always love to hear. Here are some of the most recent ones I can think of (I'll just use initials for the sake of privacy):
  • Just yesterday I was helping I. and he says, "Ms. Eastup, why are you nice today?" Apparently I'm a mean teacher and all this time I thought I had been too nice.
  • The past month has been all about persuasive writing. So yesterday we started a letter to the kids on the "Naughty List" to persuade them to have good behavior. Right off the bat J. is frustrated because he announces, "but I'm on the naughty list!" We continue on brainstorming and all the kids are giving their reasons that the naughty kids should be good. After hearing all these reasons J says, "Hmm, maybe I should start being good." Oh how I pray that he really will make that decision :)
  • Last week were discussing the changes that occur during the water cycle. The book reminded us that drinkable water is scarce and we should do our best to return it in the best condition possible. To which my kids asked how we return water that we drink. You can imagine that led to a very funny conversation filled with disgusted faces and many students yelling "Ms. Eastup!" They needed to know.
I also reflected on some of the unexpected things that I have learned since moving to Colorado:
  • Don't try to run on the sidewalk when it's below freezing and drizzling. It will leave you with a very sore tailbone.
  • Only in Colorado would a group of people be crazy enough to show up for a race when the roads are iced over and it's 19 degrees.
  • When you get stuck 3/4 of the way up a snowy hill while driving you can just back it down and try another way. Oh, and God will send you angels to help you figure that out.
  • When you hit a slick spot in the road do not slam on the brakes and jerk the wheel. You will spin into a curb and knock your car out of alignment. (I'm just very thankful it wasn't worse!)
  • As a teacher you need non-teachers in your life to keep you sane and remind you that there is more to life than teaching. I am extremely thankful for my friends from church.
  • I was made for Colorado! The adventures are unlimited!

Hopefully I'll be writing again soon with more stories, adventures, and funny moments from Ms. Eastup's 2nd grade learning safari! Hold me accountable to actually keeping a blog!

4 comments:

  1. I like the Whoop sign in the classroom :) Way to keep in touch with your Aggie spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAYYYYY!!!!! I 100% approve of this new idea... welcome to the blogging world! Maybe you'll keep up better than I do mine- I double dog dare you to :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what are you and Nikki doing in that picture?

    ReplyDelete
  4. We just got done with the Muddy Buddy! It ends with crawling through a huge mud pit. It was a ton of fun!

    ReplyDelete