Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Nahlap Island Resort


As I mentioned at the end of my last post, this past weekend was a 3 day weekend for us as Pohnpei celebrated it's Liberation Day.  We took advantage of the extra day to take a little trip out to a nearby island called Nahlap.  A wonderful family has turned it into Nahlap Island Resort.  It's quite easy and cheap to take a short boat ride out, hang out on the island, and even stay the night.  It's complete with huts, running water, bathroom, shower, fun water activities, cooking areas, and so much more.  Check it out...
My little home for the night - Hut #1
 I began with a venture around the island just to check it all out and this is what I found.
The island has its very own chapel.  So cute!
Beautiful views of Pohnpei plus we found coconuts to drink!
There's something wonderful about ocean waves
After seeing all the sites it was time to hit the water.
But first I had to drink my coconut water!
Yes, there is slide!  It is made out of a huge PVC pipe.  It
was great!

The current was pretty strong at that time, so the pipe
ring was great to rest on.
Attractive right?! :)
The weather was pretty rainy and gray the first day, so snorkeling wasn't the best.  But just wait!

That night we built a fire to cook on.  I love campfire food!  It's a little more difficult to build a fire on a very humid, wet island, but luckily Laurel was quite skilled.  And it's great that coconut husks are very good fire starters.
We have made fire!
I finally got to cook my own breadfruit!  I was so excited!

Hobo packets!!!  Never fail to be delicious!
I took a break from the fire to check out the gorgeous sunset
I think the family stays here.  I just thought it looked really cool
with the sunset lighting.
Surreal!
Mike caught me having a little too much fun with the machete :)
 
Packets done - Mike's happy...
and I think Joseph is quite satisfied as well!

The night was another dream come true...I slept in a hammock on the porch of an island hut right on the ocean.  Set aside the fact that it sounded like a tsunami crashing into our hut every minute or so and waking up to bugs biting me and it was quite ideal.  Haha!  The crashing waves seriously kept us from sleeping much and I had to reapply bug spray a couple of times, but it was still pretty fun to sleep in a hammock.  It's definitely the way to go on the island.
I started off day 2 with another little venture around the island.
Crabs were scurrying everywhere as I walked through the
mangroves.
 

Love my roomie!
Then I got to eat breakfast on the beach...my very own breadfruit cooked on the fire.
I did a good job!
This is pure happiness!
The day was already great, but then came more swimming and snorkeling.  Day 2 was way sunnier and no strong current.  That meant amazing snorkeling!!!  Again, God is such an artist and amazing Creator!
So many blue starfish!
Nemo!
I feel like I'm living in Finding Nemo
 




These long sword-looking fish were everywhere that day.
Quite interesting little creatures.
 
I don't think I'll ever cease to be amazed by all the colors you see on the fish.  Absolutely awesome!  There is not pictorial documentation, but a reef shark swam right in front of me.  I didn't even freak out.  He was just really cool!

And no ideal island day would be complete without...
Mangoes!!!!!!!!!!!
Here you have the Dois Mango - it was my first time to try it.
I'm a fan; tart on the outside, sweet in the middle.
 Oh, Nahlap also has the cutest dog I've seen in all of Pohnpei.
He's kind of like a Buddy!
Obviously I had a great weekend and loved the little island resort.  I'll definitely be returning.   While out there Psalm 19 really came to life to me:

The heavens declare the glory of God; 
the skies proclaim the work of his hands.
Day after day they pour forth speech;
night after night they display knowledge.
There is no speech or language where their voice is not heard.
Their voice goes out into all the earth,
their words to the ends of the world.
Staring out at the vast ocean, it seems like Pohnpei could be the end of the world.  And God's glory is declared through all of creation around me.  How awesome!



I will! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment