Friday, September 2, 2011

These are a few of my favorite things...

I have come to realize that I got to experience several of my favorite things this week.  First of all, there was some rumored discussion in the office that there is a mango tree growing in our yard.  Two things are great about this.  1: The fact that Sandy, one of my favorite employees at COM, knew what kind of tree is growing in my yard.  Seriously, Pohnpeians seem to know everything about the island.  2: Having a mango tree in  my yard would be a dream come true.  After some inspecting of the yard I decided which tree it should be and then I asked Pahpa Samuels.  Sure enough!  The tree right off of my porch is a Dois Mango tree.  Dream come true!  The fruit is quite a bit different from the mangoes we typically see in the states, but I'm super excited nonetheless.  Mangoes growing right off of my porch.  What more could I want?
The Dois Mango Tree
If you look really closely you might be able to see some of the
fruit.  They are green and stay green.  They should be ready
to eat soon!
To continue with the mango, I had my first student bring me a bag of mangoes.  Talk about a happy Monday morning.  She sure knows how to get on my good side :)
Thank you Saileen!
Look at those! Mmm, mmm!
Many of you know that making homemade pizza is also one of my favorite things.  After receiving a great package from my mom which included parchment paper (and sheets that fit my bed) I was set enough to attempt my first pizza in Pohnpei.  It was time to introduce Laurel to the fun of my pizza nights!
Laurel did a very good job of sticking to my rule that you
must not cross the line ;)

Success!  Homemade pizza is possible in Pohnpei!
We were quite pleased with ourselves
 Kids are also one of my favorite things.  So this week I wanted to do something fun with Jay Jay.  He's so shy around me so I wanted to make him feel like he can talk to me and we can have fun.  One day he was wearing a Cars shirt and Cars 2 was playing at the theater.  I decided that's what we should do; go to the movies!  It would be fun and he doesn't have to feel like he has to talk to me.  I told him to invite a friend along so he wouldn't feel so uncomfortable.  
Daner & Jay Jay - best buds!
Feelin' pretty cool to be at the movies
 We had a lot of fun all around.  I enjoyed seeing what they laugh at and what they find entertaining.  It's a very small theater and we had it to ourselves part of the time, so the boys were able to move around and talk freely.  Such a different experience from the states, and I have to say I kind of liked the freedom to talk and comment throughout the movie without being shushed by everyone around you.

I have one last thing that I'd like to comment on, but I'll go ahead and tell you that if you're grossed out by bugs you might want to stop right here.  If you feel like you can handle it and are okay with a little gross humor then continue on.  But you have been warned.

Our sermon last week was about how, as God's people, we should be full of thanksgiving and praise for all the great things God has done.  It was a great reminder, and there are so many serious things for which I am so thankful.  But I also came up with one of the most random things I find myself thankful for, particularly here.  As I was sitting in the living room one night reading and enjoying myself, a roach ran across my foot.  I was determined to get it.  So next time he came at me I strategically flipped him on his back with my book.  And this is what I am seriously thankful for: God did not give roaches the ability to flip themselves back over once on their backs.  It's unfortunate for them, but I am very thankful to have an easy option for dealing with them.
Sorry little guy!
He just can't do it!
Alright that is all.  I promise to try to refrain myself from ever putting up disgusting pictures of roaches ever again :)

No comments:

Post a Comment