Thursday, March 22, 2012

Run, Kayak, Celebrate!

This past weekend was fun-filled!  We got up early Saturday morning for this month's 5k fun run, the Dr. Pretrick Memorial Scholarship 5k.
When we arrived for registration at 6:30 many people were already there.  It's impressive that so many people participate in these fun runs and they start on time so early in the morning.
Sign us up for a t-shirt, fun run, snacks, and
prizes!
It was also St. Patrick's Day, so we all made sure to pull out our green for the event! 
Don't even think about pinching us
The run was a pretty typical route through Chinatown, half way out the causeway, back up the big Spanish Wall hill, and through town.  The rain held off for most of the event, but there was a pretty good down pour towards the end.  At least that means you won't get too hot!
The finish area
Edwin & B-more ran a great, fast race
Already finished and picked up the finishers'
t-shirts
Another great finish by Laurel...

and Cori Jo & Lori!
Melody finished her first 5k!!!
Post race included cold water and an abundance of delicious bananas plus time for some more fun pictures of fellow racers and awards.
 
 
 
 
 
We're with the Pretrick family - they were able to raise
quite a bit of money for the scholarship that morning
 Fortunately I had just received the perfect mango item for this event.  What could be better for a mango escapade on St. Patrick's Day than...
Perfect!
It's like candy!!!
After the race I was swooped up and taken off for a kayaking trip!  I love kayaking, but I haven't had a lot of opportunities to go.  And if you remember from my blog a while back, I have also sunk a kayak here.  So when an e-mail was sent out offering for me to join a bunch of other kayakers and use their extra kayak, I jumped on the opportunity!

We had planned to start at our only sandy beach and kayak out to an nearby island for a picnic and some hiking.  As soon as we got out there, however, we realized that the wind and rain were not working in our favor for that trip.
Squalls forming as far as the eye could see
The intended island of destination...maybe another day
We debated it for a while, but finally decided to use our good judgment and accept that we probably would never make it against the wind.  The waves were even white-capping a little bit.  So we went ahead and got the kayaks set up and went with plan B.  We went the other direction into the lagoon and up the river where it was more protected.  I didn't mind.  I was just thrilled to be out on the water paddling away and enjoying the views!
Other people had these really great inflatable kayaks.  It
made me want one :)
My own little ocean kayak for the day
The whole crew getting ready to push off
This was my favorite part...

going up the river into the island with so much life to admire...
and feeling so peaceful!
It was a great adventure out on the water: a little challenging with the wind, a little wet when each rain cloud rolled through, which made it quite typically Pohnpeian.  I was pretty wiped out by the end of all that paddling, but not too tired for...

a birthday celebration!  Our wonderful field director, Kate, had her birthday on the 22nd.  She has been so wonderful to us, so we definitely wanted to make sure she had a special birthday.  The only thing she requested very clearly for her birthday was a cheesecake - a rare delicacy on the island of Pohnpei :)  So a cheesecake she got!
Happy Birthday from the volunteers!
 That night went with Coco Marina for the birthday dinner location to change it up from our typical Cupid's birthdays.  It's a cute little open-aired, thatch roofed restaurant right on the water.  I really liked it, and it made for a fun birthday location.  I had volunteered to make the birthday cake because I love baking and making fun treats.  I turned to Pinterest for a little inspiration, and I found this cute little idea that I ended up being quite pleased with:
Make a bundt cake, make a little banner, and string it across.
So simple, yet so fun!
A slight icing drizzle mishap :)
The final product!
Even better with the lovely birthday girl
Happy Birthday Kate!!!
 

Mike was even kind enough to split his mango smoothie with me.  So deliciously refreshing!!!  What a great end to a fun-filled day.  I slept really good that night! 

One last thing, a big CONGRATULATIONS to my dear friend Candiss.  On this same day she married the love of her life and became Mrs. Ainsworth!!!
Mr. & Mrs. Ainsworth - all smiles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment